How to Teach Kids to Read ?
Most people not realize the important of learning to read until they married, have child and finally they teach their own kids at home.
People think that learning to read is a natural process, well it is not. It is a complex process that need special treatment to educate kids, and we need various skills and strategy to success teach our children, such as phonics (knowing the relationship between letters and sounds) and phonemic awareness.
Although learn to read is a complex process, the steps taken in order to build these skills are simple and straightforward. In order to make your kids able to read in a positive, fun and good experience.
Here are the steps to teach your kids to read at home:
- Make simple word cards
Make a simple word cards and write a word on it (e.g. hat, on, sit, dog, cat, sun). Tell your kids to choose a card, then read together. Ask them to say the first sound they hear. This activity is build essential phonic and decoding skills(helping them learn how to sound out words). Focus on the sound each letter make.
- Increase phonemic awareness by using songs and nursery rhyme
A nursery rhymes is a traditional poem or songs for children, so it help kids to hear the sounds and syllables in words. One way of increase phonemic is to clap rhythmically together and recite songs which help kids to develop literacy skills that play an important factor for reading success.
- Play word game
Focus playing a word game that encourage your child to listen, identify and manipulate the sounds in words. example: what words start with the sound __________?
- Understand the skills involved in teaching kids to read
Teaching kids to read involves various skills and also strategy. There are 5 components of reading that children needs:
- Phonics : a method of teaching people to read by correlating sounds with letters or groups of letters in an alphabetic writing system.
- Phonemic awareness: the ability to separate a word into the sounds that make it up and blend single sounds into words. So it also involves the ability to add, subtract, or substitute new sounds in words.
- Vocabulary: Understand the meaning of words, their definitions, and their context.
- Reading comprehension : the ability to process text, understand its meaning, and to integrate with what kids already know.
- Fluency : The ability to read aloud with speed, understanding and accuracy.
- Read together everyday and ask question
Many parents not realize how many skills can be pick up through reading together with their child. not only you can show them the sounds of each words, you also build comprehension skills, vocabulary, and let them listen a fluent reader sounds like.
Ask them question about the book that already read. encourage them with picture (e.g. Do you see the mountain? what is the color of the dog?) If your child is older, try ask this, like “why the little kids afraid of dog? when did Ted realized he left his bag on school?
- Play game on Kids Apps
There are many games for kids nowadays. Therefore, you can installed them and learning reading with your kids. Focus on the sounds of each word, spelling, grammar.
- Sign up for a class
Learning to read should become an enjoyable process for kids. As parents, we needs to know the strength and weakness of our child so we can arrange a suitable class for them. In the end, we want our kids can listen, speak and read comprehensively.
- Be patient to your child
Every child has their own pace to learns. Never push your kids if they are not in the mood learning to read, the process should enjoyable for kids and also for you. By mixing the way of learning, you will find that kids won’t be boring to learn reading.
Affiliate Disclaimer :Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, so this means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.